Monday, October 17, 2005

Cookery books I love

As a librarian and an avid foodie, I have (of course) lots of cookery books and books about food that I love, and am always eager to share.

  • Anything by M.F.K. Fisher. Fisher's style is spare and beautiful, and she makes even the most mundane meals seem extra special. A good place to start is The Art of Eating, which includes several of her books in one volume.
  • Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain is raunchy and raw, but also an incredibly articulate person who knows his stuff, and isn't afraid to say so.
  • Tender at the Bone, Comfort Me With Apples, and Garlic and Sapphires: the secret life of a critic in disguise by Ruth Reichl. through stories of the foods she's eaten, Reichl, now the editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine, unfolds her life history.
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking (vols 1&2) by Julia Child. This is where it all begins!

There are many, many more and I could list them for days. This little sample represents all of the reasons why the culinary arts are so important to me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a cool list! Thanks!

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Web star is Asian, angry and joking
What are you so angry about, Mr. Angry Asian Man? Phil Yu laughs heartily. "People ask me that question all the time," says Yu, a 27-year-old Korean-American who has graced us with AngryAsianMan .com, a ...
blog food... I love it! Can I bookmark you and tell a friend? Sometimes I find a great blog like yours and my friends really like them too.

I'm just learning about blogs, but I really like what you've done here. Getting started with my sites: Dog Houses | Surf Boards but they are still under development.

super job! so keep it up.
good day.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home