Friday, October 14, 2005

Cupcakes--don't hold the mayo

You know how it is when you suddenly just crave a comfort dessert? Something from childhood that is simple and good? Well last week I was craving white cake with chocolate frosting (what my grandpa calls "chocolate cake"). Safeway was having a sale on white cake mixes AND on tubs of frosting, so I figured that fate was craving cake as well, and I'd just as well heed the call.

I decided to use this weird recipe I found in a mayonnaise advertisement. It boasted an extra moist cake using a box mix, water, eggs, and a cup of mayo. The mix was supposed to be chocolate, but I used the white instead. To be honest, I was rather sceptical about how it would be, and braced myself for failure. It turned out GREAT. The cupcakes are moist and a bit dense--they don't really even need the frosting. Since I used non-fat mayo and egg whites, they are also a lot lighter on fat and calories than the mix would have been.

All-in-all I am pleased and will save that recipe. If you're curious about the wonders possible using mayo, go to www.bestfoods.com/recipes.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home