Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Sourdough Starter: It begins!

I love to bake bread, though my results have, in the past, been mixed. Last weekend I made a simple French bread--just yeast, salt, flour, and water--and it turned out quite well, though perhaps a little too light on the salt. I baked a little bit of dark (70%) chocolate into two little loaves and they were lovely!

My success inspired me to try my hand at sourdough next. I have begun to cultivate a sourdough starter, though I've never had much luck with them in Hawaii. I think that it's too warm--they always turn TOO sour.

I'm using a pretty standard, simple recipe: 1 cup flour mixed with 1/2 cup water (I boiled it to make it more pure). It must sit on the counter, covered with a damp cloth for 72 hours and then be fed another cup of flour. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As culture morphs worldwide at Internet speed, forecasters fight to stay ahead of it all
There was a time, way back in the late 1990s, when coolhunting was still cool, when nearly every Madison Avenue ad agency wanted a resident hipster to interpret the spending habits of those inscrutable ...
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home