Monday, October 24, 2005

Updates:

Sourdough
Well, I halved the sourdough starter and let it sit again for 12 hours. The weather has been cooler and the kitchen more drafty, so the starter's growth slowed a bit after the initial boom. I am not yet ready to make bread, so I put in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. It looks good at this point, and will have an opportunity to prove itself on Sunday when I bake bread. We shall see...

Race for the Cure
As I mentioned, I ran the Komen Foundation's Race for the Cure on Sunday. It went really well and I was happy with my performance.

It is interesting to note the kinds of food that are given to runners after any running race. Depending upon the sponsor it can range from the very simple (a banana and a bottle of water) to the elaborate (cookies and cakes and piles of fruit). One of the local sponsors of this race was Safeway, and they had a huge tent filled with baskets of food. They handed out plastic shopping bags and the runners were invited to line up and fill their bags. They gave away huge bagels with cream cheese, yogurt, apples, big cartons of orange juice, granola bars, and water--enough for several meals! Very generous, certainly, but a bit much to my mind (especially for a mere 5k race!) I am never hungry after running--endorphins act as natural appetite suppressants for me--but I can never resist free stuff, so...I have been working on my booty for the last two days.

After a race I like to watch people refuel. Many people vastly overestimate the number of calories they burn during a run, and feel the need to carbo-load afterwards. These massive food give-aways don't help much! I suppose this is why so many people wonder how they can exercise and exercise and never lose weight!

Soon it will be time for the Honolulu Marathon. The post-race bounty there should be interesting--along with the people watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home