Thursday, November 03, 2005

Aloha Friday Cookery Book Review



Escoffier Cookbook
by Auguste Escoffier

When I arrived home last night I found a package from Amazon on my doorstep. Inside, among a few Christmas presents I'd ordered, was the Escoffier Cookbook. This is the granddaddy of them all--the French cookery bible!

The Escoffier Cookbook comes right out and says that it is NOT designed for beginning cooks--it is aimed at the truly serious, and features 944 pages of dense, sometimes simple but more usually complicated, recipes.

I love this book! It is really fun to just read, and to imagine the meals that will come out of it. The format is rather difficult, though, because the recipes tend to build on one another (some reference two or three earlier recipes) and they are written in paragraph form, rather than listing ingredients and then detailing instructions. The ingredients and amounts have been interpreted for the American cook, so conversion is not necessary.

I am really looking forward to cooking from this book. I hope that I can live up to the lofty expectations of the great Escoffier!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home