Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Grocery Nirvana

I really love to shop--in grocery stores! I like to wander up and down the aisles looking at all the wonderful products I could buy if I wanted to, thinking about the things I could cook. I especially like the "ethnic" aisles. At night, when I can't sleep, I mentally wander the bakery instead of counting sheep.

I have a membership to a grocery store in Honolulu called Marukai. It is filled with products (mostly) from Japan and requires a card--rather like Costco--to get in. The products there are sometimes wonderfully strange to me and I've learned alot about Japanese cuisine from my window shopping trips.

Although there are lots of great things about Marukai, the most wonderful department is the fish market. The fish there is SO fresh and good--much of it is sashimi grade--and the price is quite affordable. As an Alaskan girl from a fishing town, I have despaired at the poor quality of fish in Hawaiian grocery stores. At Safeway most of the fish is frozen, and expensive, and poor quality. This seems so strange for a place surrounded by ocean! Whenever I want a nice piece of fish, or some calamari, or roe, I go straight to Marukai!

There are many other good grocery chains in Honolulu. I like Times for the local flavor, Star Market for their gourmet offerings, Foodland for good prices, and Safeway for convenience.

You can keep those boutiques at the mall--for window shopping, give me a grocery store every time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home