Friday, January 06, 2006

Aloha Friday Cookery Book Review


Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook: Strategies, Recipes, and Techniques of Classic Bistro Cooking
by Anthony Bourdain

Ok, by now you will have noticed that I really like Anthony Bourdain. Well, I got this cookbook for Christmas from my parents, and I've been poring over it ever since.
Basically, Bourdain presents the classic bistro dishes that are served at Les Halle (the restaurant at which he is chef) and demystifies them. Scattered throughout are helpful tips and a healthy amount of Bourdain's signature smarta** style. I knew that this would be a winner when I pulled it out of the wrapping paper and found that the dust jacket is made of paperbag paper--cool!

The recipes here are far from groundbreaking--they are, in fact, classics that might seem intimidating to the average American cook. I am eager to try out a few, particularly the extremely approachable cassoulet recipe ( I have long longed to make a cassoulet, but have been scared off by the huge ingredient lists and labor intensive instructions in most French cookbooks).

Bourdain delivers yet another awesome book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home